German Visa and Laws - Spouse Visa

Please select a country

Family Reunion Visa

To join your spouse or a family member who lives in Germany you have to apply for a National visa - You can find an application for a residence permit under the long term visa category.
There are certain guidelines you need to follow to make your complete visa process smooth and get your visa in one go!

Visa Application Procedure

In Sri Lanka, for a long-term visa, you don’t have to take any appointment but just go to the embassy directly. There is a walk-in interview process followed.
So you can submit your application directly at the German embassy from Monday to Thursday between 8:00 am and 10:00 am.
You can also book an appointment subject to availability by calling this number: 0094 77 35 41 017.
An appointment can only be booked for Tuesdays from 2:00 pm to 3:30 pm.
All applicants have to be present in person for an interview at the embassy.

The processing time for your visa is approximately 7 months. So apply at least 7 months prior to your intended day to go to Germany. Your Sri Lankan documents are verified for their genuineness.

Official hours and contact details for visa sections

Embassy: 40, Alfred House Avenue, Colombo 3, Sri Lanka

Consular and Visa Section: 43, Temple Lane, Colombo 3, Sri Lanka
Postal address: Embassy of the Federal Republic of Germany
P.O. Box 658, Colombo 3, Sri Lanka
Contact details:
Tel: +94 - 11 - 2580431
Fax: +94 - 11 - 2580440

Required Documents

Application form
Take two completed application forms. Don’t submit incomplete application forms, they won’t be accepted and might delay the process.
You can download the form from the link below:

Passport sized photographs
Take three passport photographs. The Photographs should not be older than six months. It should be with a white background measuring 3.5 cm x 4.5 cm.

A valid passport
Your passport must be valid up to one year and if there are any previous cancelled passports or expired passports you need to take them as well. Take the original along with two copies of it. In case your name has changed, your name should be printed in the passport.

Family reunion Applicant’s declaration
This is a declaration you need to sign and take it along with other documents for your visa application. The declaration states that the information you will provide for the visa is true and good to your knowledge and that you won’t provide false information. The declaration also states that your marriage was not intended for getting the residence permit and that if asked you will provide with the additional details to the officials.
You can download the declaration from the link given below:

Certificates showing the proof of relationship with the person residing in Germany
You have to show the proof of your relationship with the person whom you will join in Germany.
How can you show the proof?
If the person you’re joining is your spouse, you have to show the marriage certificate.
Or if the person is your family member, you have to show the birth certificate or some other valid document validating your relation with him/her residing in Germany.
Or if you’re going to get married in Germany, take the proof that a wedding date is confirmed by a  German registrar’s office.
Don’t forget to take the original along with two copies of it.

Invitation letter from the partner residing in Germany
Your partner/ family member must send you an invitation letter from Germany. You need this in original along with two copies.

Certified copy of family member/ spouse living in Germany
Get the certified copy of the passport of the spouse/family member who is living in Germany containing following:
* His/her personal information
* The issuance data of the passport
* All residence permits/visas
* All entry and exit stamps

Certificate of residency in Germany ("Meldebescheinigung")
You have to take the certificate of residency in Germany of the spouse/ family member staying in there.

Proof of health insurance
To travel to Germany you need to have a valid health insurance covering at least the first three months of your travel. Take the original along with two copies of it.

For children below 18 years who wish to join their parents in Germany.
Children below 18 years joining a parent should have a written consent of the other parent (the signature needs to be certified) along with a certified copy of this parent’s passport. If the parents are divorced the decree absolute and/or appointment of guardianship certified by District Court has to be submitted.

Proof of German language
To join your spouse/ family member in Germany, the Federal Republic of Germany wants you to know some basic German language so that you don’t have to struggle in making yourselves involved in German society and culture. There are five levels of the German language from A1-A2-B1-B2-C1 but giving a proof of the first level i.e.; A1 is sufficient. However, there are some following exceptions to it where knowing the language is not necessary:
* If the spouse/ family member whom you’re going to join in Germany holds a Blue card.
* If the spouse/ family member is a citizen of an EU member state (other than Germany).
* For applicants who apply for family reunion with their German child.
* Your spouse has a residence permit as
o Highly-skilled worker (§ 19 AufenthG).
o Researcher (§ 20 AufenthG).
o Company founder (§ 21 AufenthG).
o Person entitled to asylum (§ 25 (1) or § 26 (3) AufenthG).
o Recognized refugee (§ 25 (2) or § 26 (3) AufenthG).
o holder of a permanent right of residence from other EU countries (§ 38 a AufenthG)
You can get the A1 certificate from the institute given below:
Goethe-Institute (No. 39, Gregory’s Road, Colombo 7, Tel: 011/2694562) for the A1 language examination “Start Deutsch 1”;
You can gather more information here from the link given below:

If the family member/ spouse you’re joining in Germany is not a German national
In such cases you have to provide a proof of financial means of the person living in Germany. It may be a formal obligation sponsor letter “Verpflichtungserklärung” or last three pay slips and the lease contract.

* The officials may ask for additional information at the time of the visa interview.
* All copies of documents should be in A4 size.
* Do not staple any documents.
* Take two photocopies of each document mentioned above and do not forget to take the originals.
* All Sri Lankan certificates must be certified by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and should be submitted along with certified German translations and three copies each.
* Couples who got married in India should produce their marriage certificate sealed by the Indian High Commission in Colombo.